Lansdowne: A Perfect Weekend Getaway!
A cantonment town of Pauri Garhwal district in the state Uttarakhand, Lansdowne is a perfect weekend getaway with its quiet environs and mesmerizing sights. One of the most unspoilt hill stations, Lansdowne is a pretty budget friendly place to go.
How to Reach?
Lansdowne is about 260 kilometres away from Delhi, a distance that is usually covered in 6- 7 hours by car.
The nearest railway station is Kotdwar which is situated at a distance of 40 km from Lansdowne.
Best Attractions in Lansdowne
- Tip N Top Point —> It is a sightseeing place which is the highest point of Lansdowne. The spot overlooks the beautiful cantonment town below, capturing its spectacular view in all its entirety.
- Tarkeshwar Mahadev Temple —> This temple of Lord Shiva is situated about 35 Km from Lansdowne. A scintillating and beautiful temple, the site is soothingly peaceful, surrounded by towering trees. You can also book rooms around the place and spend a night in just 500 INR.
- Darwan Singh Museum—>Inaugurated in 1983, the Darwan Singh Museum is a historical defence museum named after the first Victoria Cross Holder from Garhwal Rifles- Darwan Singh Negi.
- Bhulla Tal Lake—> A serene location where you will be offered activities like boating, which you can participate in with your partner.
- Church of St Marry —> Located near Tip N Top point, the church of St Mary is a catholic church of historical significance. The church was constructed in 1895 by Colonel A.H.B Hume of the Royal Engineers.
- Bhim Pakora—> The Bhim Pakora comprises of two large stones one above another in perfect balance. The topmost rock can be moved with a finger, but never falls down even when you use both your hands to push it.
Where to Stay?
Choose a hotel near the city centre to easily access the attractions that Lansdowne has to offer. Hotels outside the city centre do provide a serene and calm experience, but would require much transport to and from the city if you have planned much sight seeing.